Sunday 9 September 2012

Chapter 7

by Caity


Paris?

Go to Paris….?

Becca was speechless. She sat looking at her friend,  so many questions racing through her mind.

‘Becca? Bec are you ok?’

Everything she’s dreamed of.  Just an interview away. No more musty binbags full of cast offs  and ugly china. The chance to do this, to really do this.

‘I think I need something stronger than coffee. I can’t believe this.’

‘well you better start believing it, your interview must be soon…when is it?’

Becca looked at her – ‘interview? I… I’ve not heard anything. Pip what you’re  saying – I had no idea’

The pause was a single beat, but they both felt it before Pip crashed on

‘Well,  you know how rubbish you are in the mornings, you probably didn’t see the letter when you were falling out the door. I expect it’s there somewhere.  But you better go and check.’

They fell to Silence, much longer this time. Becca picked up her bag and moved to pull on her jacket

‘Pip what if-‘

‘Hello dear’

They both looked up.

‘Having a coffee? I thought I’d do the same. Before I get the bus home.  It’s cold out isn’t it. I’ve not been in here before, I’m not sure where to sit… Is this your friend then? Hello dear.’

Becca shook herself and introduced Pip to Mr Heath.

‘Ever so cold, and wet. For the time of year. ‘

‘Um, I’m sorry I have to go now, but look, sit here ‘

‘oh yes, you young women, always in a rush. Well, bye then dears. I’ll see you soon I expect.’

*

Mr Heath sat down at the table with the two undrunk coffees. A girl with long dark hair in a high pony tail and chocolate drop eyes came to the table and cleared it for him. He smiled at her. He decided not to say hello. He thought she looked busy. Too busy to stop.  Like they all are Celie, aren’t they.

He sipped his tea and looked out of the window.  

She looks like you. Not as kind in her face, but , her hair. Same colour. And her eyes. You were so beautiful. The most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. 

Villanelle remembering Celie

A Reckless joy inflames my hollowed cheek

Caresses every memory of you

And leaves a longing only jesters seek

 

Until satiate, replenished and complete

I smile, remember and then when I do -

A Reckless joy inflames my hollowed cheek.

 

There’s no more to be spoken now it seems

Before  a bitterness divides this fool

And leaves a longing only jesters seek.

 

Sepia tones of memory look bleak

When shaded with a grain of palest blue.

A Reckless joy inflames my hollowed cheek

 

Whenever I remember now that leap

I took. I know now the loss is cruel

And leaves a longing only jesters seek

 

And all others do refuse;  but I, meek -  

here alone with memorials of you,

A Reckless joy inflames my hollowed cheek

And leaves a longing only jesters seek

 

 

***

 

‘Oh fuck’ 

The bus pulled away from the stop

 

‘he saw us he fucking saw us’

 

‘Calm down there’ll be another one in five minutes, I’m sure it will be fine Becca’

 

The sense of panic was rising. It couldn’t be that she’s missed it…or they don’t want her …but they want Pip. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

 

‘Becca, breathe girl breathe, I’m sure it will be fine’ Pip was becoming tired of the drama. Although this time she hoped that’s all it was. Becca was crying. ‘And for god’s sake blow your nose’

 

They laughed. Becca reached into her pocket.


‘oh bollocks’ she said, pulling out a handkerchief.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! All that blethering about how you wouldn't have time and then you go above and beyond, write a brilliant chapter and throw in a villa-bloddy-nelle for good measure. Wonderfully creative. Loved how you assumed the universal narrator and broke it up into three mini chapters to up the pace. Actually feels like we are hurtling towards a dramatic conclusion. God knows what!

    BG x

    ReplyDelete
  2. M'colleague. I love it, particularly that you made it very much in your own style but in a way that fitted with what had gone before.
    PB

    ReplyDelete