Monday 24 June 2013

From the Beach

I am not a good swimmer.  I have stamina I suppose - at least I used to when I would swim three quarters of a mile two or three times a week – but I am slow and I have no style.  Nor will I ever have, because I do not like putting my face in the water and have never got the hang of the breathing…

Once upon a time, in another life, I went on holiday to the Maldives.  Ninety bumpy minutes by speedboat from the capital Male is the island of Nakatchafushi.  On our side of the island, the sheltered side, there were round bungalows; pristine white with thatched roofs.  The queen size beds were scattered with rose petals, and each rondavel had a sandy little pathway through exotically flowered shrubbery to a private little beach with white sand and palm trees.  It was picture postcard paradise.

The east side of Nakatchafushi is rocky and the north side windy, but our beach on the southern side, segregated by lush vegetation, had the impression of being miles away from this exposure, despite only taking fifteen minutes to pad barefoot around the island to the western tip.  With the exception of a stroll to the northern side before dinner to feed the rays that gathered in the shallow waters at this time, most of our days were spent lazing on the beach, eating club sandwiches by the pool or snorkelling.

The pool is situated mid-way between the restaurant in which the breakfast buffet is served, and the main restaurant also on the southern side of the island.  A wooden deck looks out into the Indian Ocean, past the house reef, on the other side of which is an abundance of fish in Glorious Technicolor.

Shallow waters surround the island and enclosing them, lagoon like, is the house reef; dead coral which is sharp and rocky.  Channels in the rocks allow you to swim to the other side of the reef without shredding your skin and give access to a whole new world.  At first I could not hear the parrot fish munching on the coral, the only sound was my own rasping breath as my cognitive faculties tried to cope with the dissonance of breathing with my face in the water. 

But as the vivid colours swam before me and the shoals of fish darted and moved as one, I gradually relaxed and the vision became addictive.  The brightly coloured coral, the fish that looked like Groucho Marx, the clown fish, and the bright blue parrot fish with red painted lips became part of our lives that week.  We looked for eels and for octopus and came across the dead eyes of a small nurse shark, speckled and leopard like.

This beautiful other world dropped sharply away to the south.  By swimming just a few feet out there was nothing underneath our prone bodies but the utter blackness of the Indian Ocean.  Panic regained control if I drifted too far and I kept close to the reef and held on to my husband’s hand as we floated.

And this became our routine in the cooler hours of the day, and usually in the mornings we were alone out on the reef whilst others lounged on the deck or on their private beaches.  And I relaxed and my breathing became even and now I could hear the sounds of the parrot fish; and something else…

…shouting.

We both hear it and, treading water, look up out of the world beneath us and back to the deck.  A line of people standing, shouting, pointing into the vastness behind us and my heart seems to stop and then race and I can’t seem to gather my thoughts.   We can’t just swim to the beach, to safety.  We’ve swum a fair way from the channel we used to gain entry to the reef, and to swim directly back from our present position would risk ripping legs and arms on the rocky coral, would risk a drop of blood that could be smelt from miles away.  It took me a whole month to even paddle in the shallows of the water in Australia with their nets and their lifeguards, and here I am in the middle of the Indian Ocean a metre away from water so deep that light cannot penetrate it, cannot illuminate what is lurking in its depths.

It takes far less time for these thoughts to hurtle through my brain than it does to write them down, to read them back.  I can see from the look on my husband’s face that similar thoughts are racing through his mind.  We’re still holding hands.

On the deck they are all still there, shouting and pointing, but I can’t hear what they are saying.  We’re too far out, and I’m sure some of my senses are being overwhelmed by the adrenaline pumping through my body.  I can’t remember at what point we turned to face what was out there, but it can’t really have been more than a few seconds…

It would only have taken a half dozen strokes to be swimming with the dolphins; their graceful and gleeful dipping and diving into the sea, the sunlight catching the splashes of water from their rise and fall.  How many were there I can’t say; they wove in and out so deftly it was difficult to tell and they were gone in what seemed like an instant.  Torn between a longing to be with them and more than ever needing the security of the reef we didn’t join them.  I’m not sure my legs were fully functioning.

I’m not sure my breathing has ever fully recovered.

Sharon

 


No comments:

Post a Comment