Thursday 30 August 2012

Chapter 3

Rachel Dealtry

I can’t do this anymore. I can’t look at her face, it’s just too upsetting. Some days I can do it, some days I can breeze in and look at her picture, feel her spirit watching me and just say a silent “Hi” and that’s ok, it’s ok to do that, but some days, and today is one of those days, she burns a whole in my heart. The well is too deep, the mirror too cracked, the soul too destroyed. I pull myself together; lift the water off my face with the palm of my hands, take a deep diaphragmatic driven breath and place the photograph back. I feel something pulling at my nylon tights and I bend down to see what the hell it might be, I don’t figure it out, but whatever it was has left a ladder. I say this out loud “I have a ladder” my voice sounds different, dulcet, toned, deeper “You’re worried about a ladder!” shouts back at me! “What the...” I look up and see a young Joan (my mother’s best friend) staring right back at me. “We’re at Woodstock and you’re worried about a fucking ladder in your stockings, deary me!” I am astounded because when I look again at my laddered tights, I notice that my legs look different, my legs feel different, I feel funny, woozy, dizzy and the sounds, the music, everything... is... different. I touch my hair which is thick and wavy, I feel around my face for recognition and then suddenly it dawns on me and I feel as though I cannot breathe, I am drowning, being pushed down under a blanket of water, it takes me, intoxicated, I splutter, gurgle, drift. Everything goes black and then something strikes me, hard on the face. I open my eyes and see stars glistening all around the sky and my eyeballs roll around inside my head. It’s Joan again; she’s leaning over me, pulling at my limp arms. She sings at me “June, June, wake up. You just blacked out” Of course! I know exactly who I am and I know exactly where I am and this is just the final nail in the coffin of my day. I AM MY MOTHER. I sit up and look at my left hand and sure enough, a simple gold wedding ring sits there, staring back at me. “Fuck June, are you alright? Cum-mon, we best get a friggin move on we don’t wanta miss Canned Heat”. No sooner had Joan mentioned Canned Heat, the heavens opened and this wasn’t just a shower either, it was torrential. Joan pulled my arm and we ran through the crowd, sopping wet. She squeezed me through the smog of delirious air, I just let her pull me through the squelch. Before I knew it we were somewhere near the front, right up by the stage. No-one seemed to care that we were soaking wet, it was like being in a giant swimming pool with lots of happy people. She gripped my hand and I wondered how I would manage to release it so that I could gain a perspective on what was happening to me. I knew that my father must have been there somewhere and the last thing I needed was to see him. As the band started and Joan flew her arms in the air, I edged away from her, slowly manipulating my way through the crowd, I was groped a little and offered a smoke which I politely avoided, I reasoned with myself that this was psychedelic enough without enhancing anything. When I found a safe spot, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a compact silver mirror. Staring back at me was her, was my mother and I couldn’t help but say “What the fuck is going on?” the reflection smirked right back at me “That’s really not the best way to greet your mother Becca”. I felt my stomach summersault, snapped the mirror shut, crouched on the floor as I felt the vomit rising through my legs and up into my throat, I keeled over, the music was playing through my chest, the swimming pool was just mud  rising and my body was sinking again. I knew that I had to make a decision, because right there and then it didn’t feel as though I had any choice. Joan was here, my father was here... somewhere, and I was lost inside my own mother. I debated opening the mirror again and asking her advice on the situation, but knowing that it was there gave me a sense of security. I could do that later, in private. ‘You are at Woodstock’ I told myself, ‘you are your dead mother and you are fighting it. Later, later Becca, we will deal with this later.’ I let the sick go and as I breathed in, I let something go, I let myself go. Finding my bearings, I drifted back through the crowd searching for Joan, I’m not sure how long it took to reach her, but I’ve always been fairly good with directions. I saw her on the shoulders of a chiselled god and I made a dash for her. Reaching up, I squeezed her hand as tight as I could; she bent down “June – June. Are you feeling better?” I jumped up “Yes, much much better! This is wild!” There was warmth on my shoulders and something tickled my neck. I turned around slowly and looking back at me with dewy eyes was my very own father.  

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers! From the hospice shop to Woodstock. Trippy stuff. Loved your descriptions of the festival – really felt the chaos and the energy. Also liked the idea of her going back and stepping into her mum's life. And glad you didn't make her get off with her Dad...

    Could this story get any crazier?

    BG

    ReplyDelete