Friday 12 October 2012

Chapter 6


“Emma... Can you get here now...it’s my...it’s my...just get here...”

I sat for some time, contemplating his whimpering. He was obviously in pain, he was clearly suffering. I didn't want to go, I really didn't want to go but I did go, I did go and all the way over there in the car I was beating the hell out of myself for rushing to his aid. I reasoned that it might have been cruel to Jessica if I didn't go, cruel to myself, I was a good person after all, a hurt person but none the less a good person. I smelt it before I saw it, the stench was arresting as I clicked the car door shut, I didn't need to ring the door bell, it was wide open. And then I saw him, the ponce from the pub. The one who thought he was ‘oh so much better’ than everyone else. Standing there looking like a frustrated little rat, I knew what he thought about me, I knew what he thought about everybody. It was written all over his face, what he didn't take time to consider, was what we thought about him.

“My ca...” He said
“What?” I said
“My Car, I need to mo...” he said
“Emma!” My philandering husband yelped.

“Jeysus” I saw the blood pouring across the floor. “I am Philoc...” He was delirious, crying, whimpering, and spouting some shite about Greek history. I looked at the prick who was moaning about his car. “You fucking asshole, why didn’t you call an ambulance...fuck, the smell is killing me here, open a fucking window shit head” He did it, he opened a window and then he turned and smirked at me “You and him?” I laughed “He’s my fucking husband”.

He laughed, I laughed, the whole situation seemed surreal and then something happened: shifted, moved. He had a look in his eye, a glimmer, a childish whisper of something naughty. Something entirely unthinkable and we didn’t need to talk anymore, we just both knew, that we were on the edge of something dangerous.

“Philoc...amb...Emm? Jess?...Help me...He’ hel...”

It was too late, we ran away from the stench...away from the blood and the tragedy of it all...we were upstairs and it was too late, it was too late to not take a chance, to not throw caution to the wind and all that.

I’m not that cruel though. I did call the ambulance before leading him up the stairs and just as I was about to experience a final wave of female bliss the neeenaaaaneeenaaaa of the siren belted up the road.

By Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment