Friday 10 May 2013

Churchgoers

Watching through the dirty glass of my living room window,
The old people walking bowed and supporting each other
Towards the church that rings an appeal.

Some laughing youths ride the other way on their bicycles
As they go oblivious to the glares that scorn them.
A pigeon standing aloof on the opposite roof coos its disdain.

Then it begins to rain and like a slow motion film of flowers opening,
Umbrellas spring open wide to make a dancing parade of gaily coloured circles
Each swirling and moving as one towards the random rhythm of the ringing bells.

A dance of souls in faithful abeyance to the call of the profound.

But the youths are back and whirling like dervishes on their bikes
Between the baffled faithful they hurl their foul mouthed scorn.
And even the pigeon falls quiet.

Then they’re gone like a small wind that passed and stoic people
Brace themselves and reform their appreciation of their truths
And the swirling march of the giant coloured flowers resumes.

And in the distance is heard bright laughter
Of young people yet to be constrained by anything so fixed
That could be called by mere bells.

And the rain still fell slowly.
Ignoring it all.
And the pigeon resumed its call.



David.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting image. I loved the drama of the silenced pigeon. Made me hold my breath. Exhaled on the last line. Great stuff. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the image of the umbrellas opening, and the narrative's awareness that the young too will one day be old souls with their own truths. I've phrased that badly, sorry it's late, but I know what I mean. In short, I liked it!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete