Wednesday 25 September 2013

The Worn Carpet

One Day, somewhere near the beginning
“Nada nada nada”
“Hu?”
“Nada nada nada”
“What?”
“Don’t put it there . . . nada nada”
“Will you speak fucking English?”
He shuvs her out of the way a little
“Come on? Move it over by the door”
He tickles her
“Owch Owch”
He lifts her up, wraps her legs around his waist and holds her there.
The carpet roll falls on the floor
They kiss. They do more than kiss. They . . .
It’s New Years Eve, years have passed by
You’re working.
I’m working.
No champagne. No kisses. No sex.
No sex?
It’s New Years Eve.
Aren’t we supposed to be together?
What will people think? Why is it like this?
Don’t you love me anymore? I will phone in and say that I’m sick. I don’t care. I want to be with you.
Of course . . . it’s important. But can’t I be with you? Can’t we make this happen?
It’s a wonderful thing . . . what we have. It’s a wonderful thing . . . what we have found.
People search years to find what we have and they never do. They never do find it.
They remain lost.
You’re working. I’m working. I guess that’s decided then.
See you next year.
Oh . . . I nearly forgot to say . . .
You do? I know you do . . . it’s okay . . . I understand.
They’ll be other times.
My love for you stretches beyond mountains
Beyond seas
I don’t blame you. I understand. It wasn’t easy. There was a lot riding on it.
It was important to you.
Years Later Again.
Over the rooftops and up through the stars
The moon giggles at us you know.
Higher and higher
Faster and sleeker than ever before
Into the distance
Out in the open air
What joy it is to sit upon threadbare
It’s a trick – but wait. It’s not really a trick because we can fly.

And everything in the past, in the distance, becomes insignificant in comparison...

No comments:

Post a Comment