Wednesday 27 March 2013

sestina time


Sestina On Being Made Single. Again.

 With fingers lifted at a cigarette,
your lips part; slow, deliberate. And one
by one the dreams we had are all but spent,

as ash which falls - betrayed - to death, by fire.
The plastic cup, half filled with coffee close

to cold, is nearer to your heart, and set

down with more tender touch than I am: Set

aside. Draw on the butt of cigarette
again, or move to speak if you must close

this door. I’d rather that you’d shout out one
venomous, sulphur- stream of fire,

- and rage until all bitterness is spent –
 

than smother me with silence. We have spent

years arriving at this ending. I set
my heart on you; on stoking up your ‘fire

of passion’. You. A man in cigarette
pants; dirty. Shirt; a Che Guevara one.

Remembering you then, too far to close

the distance, too long ago, to get close
to you now. Reclaiming all the time spent

in snuffing out the spark, splitting the one-
ness into two, is futile. We are set,

now, on this path. And like your cigarette
my hope is all consumed today in fire.

 

You stare at me. And I with rapid-fire
of words unspoken, untumbling, close
my eyes and breathe your smoking cigarette.

In aspiration I am all now spent
out. Resign myself again to being set

up on the shelf; and ready meals for one;

 
or hitching up my skirts for fumbled one-

night-stands; imagining lost cats so fire-
men come - my only company; and set

ups with Toms, Harrys – Dicks all, far too close
for comfort. All too far away. I’ve spent

too long embraced here by your cigarette
 

smoke. That cigarette that takes me back one
lifetime. One spent, dulled, burnt out, lifeless fire
close to its end, and it will not again be set.

 

5 comments:

  1. I love this, Caity. Still don't quite understand the structure – or rather wouldn't have a clue how to emulate it – but love the meaning behind it. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an explanation of structure and form which I've emailed to Beth as I don't seem to have everyone's email .... But the Stephen fry book explains it really well ... And Makes it seem simple - honest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb! Clever, beautiful and full of emotion. I love the word device too, somehow it created a subtle rhythm and tied it all together but did not feel contrived in any way. It was more like it was emulating the whirlpool of emotion that is felt at a time like this. This is by far the best poem that has appeared on this blog. You are so clever, Caity. Sally

    ReplyDelete