Friday 25 January 2013

Snow drifter

Nick rubs the last of the crumbs into his gums and waits for the tingle. He swallows down the pharmaceutical phlegm, runs his tongue over the numbness where his teeth used to be, and stands taller. Every neuron in his brain is fizzing. He is alive. Invincible. No longer a loser in a slow death of a job, but a man with spark who’s going somewhere. As soon as he gets out of this stinking bog, that is. He kicks back the door, struts past the miserable urinals and feels every cell in his body swell as the music hits him like a sonic massage. His cock is vibrating to the beat. He wants a fuck so bad. He looks around knowing he has to act before the magic fades – before the powder wears off and these girls start to look like the dogs they are or recognise him for the shameful cunt he is. Then he spots one he knows. Jesus. Tina. Nick? Yeah. Crazy, man. What you doing here? Oh, you know. Night off from the kids. You? Nah, don’t really see mine any more. Messy. Fuck that anyway. Drink with me. Yeah, fuck it. Why not. He orders two tequila shots. He never drinks tequila but the shock of seeing her has temporarily short-circuited his high. He winces as she knocks it back in one, wipes her glistening chin and orders them another. How’s Gary? Yeah fine. Out most nights. May as well be a single mum. He clocks the trenches round her eyes. The magic is fading. His stomach is churning. Fuck me, she mouths. He can just make out the words over the throbbing bass. What? Fuck me. He’s about to ask what about Gary but he knows it’s futile. It’s a done deal. He leads her back to the toilet and forces her against the cistern. He grapples with her tights with one hand and his jeans with the other. His cock is non-existent but he rams away at her anyway and starts to get hard. She’s moaning. He thumps against her six, seven, eight times until she starts to shudder. That was quick he’s thinking, then realises she’s crying. How did I get here, she’s saying over and over. What the fuck am I doing? She pushes him away and crashes out the door, her bag lying in a puddle of piss at his feet. He feels properly sick now, then sees a twenty amidst the lipstick and tampons and snorts a line. Then another. And another. Job done, he heads outside where she’s puking in the gutter. I’m sorry he says, handing her the bag. That shouldn’t have happened. You always were a selfish cunt, she screams. That whole time Mark was ill and you never even… she stops and pukes some more. I didn’t know what to say. You didn't have to say anything. He needed you. I was scared. Don’t you think he was fucking scared? I know, he says. His face is wet now, his tears melding with the faint specks of snow fighting for landing space. That high he felt in the club, that five-minute window of possibility… this is the exact inverse. His whole life is one long fucking come down. He can barely make out what she’s saying now, the flashbacks are so intense. There’s something about the swirling snowflakes that hypnotises him. They must have been barely teens. School was closed, heating failure. Mark knew a place, had a plan. They stole a packet of Tina’s ciggies and a bottle of Drambuie and headed to the Ups And Downs, makeshift sledges in hand. The snow had coated everything like fresh Tippex. It was theirs. All theirs. Silence. Mark’s fucking brilliant grin. We’re kings of our own destiny, my friend. Never forget that. Because no matter how shit life gets there’s always moments like this when you can rub it all out, you know, and start again. A brand new page. They haven’t even touched the booze and already Mark’s on one of his sermons, but Nick gets it. He always gets it. I miss him, Tina is crying. I miss him, I miss him, I miss him. He can’t tell if he is trembling from the cold or withdrawal. His hand instinctively reaches down for the coke in his pocket then, suddenly possessed, lobs the crumpled wrap into the road before he has chance to change his mind. The way he sees it, he can carry on killing himself one gram at a time, or he can be the guy he once saw reflected in his best friend's eyes. The one who flew down that fucking hill in a bin bag then staggered howling with laughter back to the top before relaunching himself. Again. And again. So much possibility. He puts his arms around her. I know he says. Come on. Let’s get you home. The snow falls with more purpose; the pavement finally surrendering to the frozen assault. Tomorrow the grimy streets will be pure white.   

By Beth

8 comments:

  1. Loved this. Riveting stuff. And, for a short piece, full of all sorts of prompts to internal reflection, which for me is a principal reason for reading fiction. Imagine how intense a whole book would be. I'd have liked a couple of paragraphs though.. got slightly lost once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David. Really appreciate your feedback. I'm usually obsessive about paragraphs but felt this worked better as a long stream of consciousness. I guess I thought it would convey the confused blur of the intoxicated mind. If you got lost perhaps that's a good thing because that's exactly how Nick feels. Or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, M'Colleague. A good idea and well written. For me it works best as a stream of consciousness although that's more like phet than coke. Less sex and swearing than you like to normally put into a story so you've been very restrained. PJB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to ask.. is there an angry Beth lurking beneath the calm exterior?? Wasn't it you who said that what people write reveals something in their subconscious? Which made me hastily tone down my stuff after the shagger Jonesy piece! ;-) Of course, if you're right, ever more reason for the just-go-for-it approach to writing I suppose. Agree with Patrick.. this piece is a good idea. I'm struggling to come up with one. But then I do seem to have a problem originating an idea. It's easier following on from what someone else has started I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha, yep, really held back on this one! David, absolutely, I do believe our writing is a reflection of what plagues our minds, although I assure you none of it is autobiographical. Like Patrick and his friendly psychopaths, I can't help but be fascinated by people who drop out and break the rules. Loss is also a recurrent theme. And sex and drugs are just two ways to fill that void, I guess. I hope I left it on an uplifting note, at least. PJB has obviously taken a lot more phet than me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Powerful stuff. I am not sure whether the lack of paragraphs further emphasises the pace, but this really flew anyway. I am not a particular fan of strong language in print and performance, but I have to admit it works well in this piece (and I note that even my hero Ayckbourn is throwing in the odd F-word nowadays).

    Well done on this Beth. It is a complete (beginning, middle and end) story in a concise form. Not easily achieved. I am not sure whether we should analyse for any autobiographical inference, but I'll certainly try and stay on your best side in case, as David suspects, there is a very angry Beth lurking here.

    Graham
    (PS how do I get my comments to attribute to me, like David's and Patrick's? Do I need to create my own account on here?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really glad that the protagonist had an epiphany and ditched the narcotics :-). Was written in the moment - nice, super fast paced, R x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So raw, so angry, such pace... Wow! Sally

    ReplyDelete