Thursday 24 January 2013


SNOW

Chris.


My poem about snow.
Some things you may, or may not know.
Couldn't think of many words that rhyme, but I’ll give it a go.
It’s that white frosty stuff, which falls from the heavy, dark sky,
If you’re unlucky, a snow flake will fall into your eye.
Under a microscope, every flake is different.
That I didn't know, about snow.
When it does come down and settles, it turns trees, fields, rooftops, and roads etc. a different colour, and that colour is white.
It’s good for sledging, and when made into a ball,
good to throw & have a snowball fight.
That’s fun, as you probably know, and after a while, your hands feet and face begin to glow.
Snow can be sculptured into numerous things, not just men, but very creative?
I think ‘that’s art’, made from snow. 
But just because it looks pretty, that doesn't make it right!
Snow turns everything green to white,
giving some people a fright.
People trying to clear their drives, with brooms and plastic shovels,
sometimes, even at night!
The temperature is freezing; it does turn into ice,
and (not just for me) that’s not always nice!

Lots of children may be very happy, to school they don’t go,
when it’s bad snow.
Their parents will be thinking ‘not again’ Oh, please, NO’!!
Old people fall and that’s not right, they also don’t want to get involved
in a snowball fight!
Very cold cyclists (if you see any) covered up; you just see their eyes,
they are just trying to stay upright, that’s no surprise.
Farmers must hate it, not the time to sow
and the snow
won’t let the crops grow. 
At the moment, it’s stopping me earning, but I won’t get low,
it’ll get me writing more, so come on, LET’S GO!!

Yesterday, I saw paw prints, it was of a cat. That I do know.
Looked like it was walking slow, in the very white snow.
Just like me, cautiously walking into town,
still the white stuff came down!
I had my boots on, not my shoes,
but it’s not as bad here, as some places I have seen on the news.
Even some 4 by 4’s were not able to go.
I slipped a bit, on the slippery, frosty pavement, as I walked slow,
but the road had drivers stuck in traffic; I looked at all the stationary cars,

with white bonnets & roofs covered in inches of snow,
with the drivers mentally forcing the car in front, to try and get it to go.
I wonder if their car doors had been frozen closed, I don’t know.

Then later, I watched the snow falling in the dark, yes it was night,
in the streetlight,
the flakes fell and they seemed bigger and they also seemed to glow.
But I really can’t wait to see it all melt, bye bye snow,
I’ll then watch the water flow.

Now has that been enough info, about the snow?
Because I must go,
but I wonder if the weather will be the same tomorrow?
If so,
everything will happen again and be the same, because of the snow.  










Finished!  And exactly 613 words total. Phew!
My first ever written poem, please, please tell me, how did I do?
I think I’ll put my name to it; I’m brave enough, so you’ll know.
But if you think that I’ve made any mistakes, please let me know. 
Please also take careful note, I thought it was very, very, good of me,
especially,
as on purpose, in my poem about snow,
I DID NOT until now, mention the word once.
That word, of course, was ‘yellow’.

12 comments:

  1. Haha.. I enjoyed that. You need to break it up into lines perhaps, but what the hell, it made me laugh. And there's nowt wrong with yellow snow... denotes a good night out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David, I was going to give you a mention, because of you reminding me about yellow snow, but couldn't think of how it would rhyme.
    I'm trying to think of a story about snow, but that's not 'appearing' as quickly as the poem did. I need to read more & get better at writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, made me chuckle although I'd like to see something written from the heart next, rather than for an audience. Will look forward to your next piece! BG

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Yellow snow' made me laugh, should be included in the poem :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to add more lines, thought of them today. Chris.


    But, as we all know, water comes from melted ice and snow,
    It’s not a bad thing, to eventually see all the snow go.
    Although,
    If it’s lots of water, from the melted snow, it may cause flooding,
    that can be very bad, we know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't have to rhyme.. although if words echo each other from somewhere further back as you read, it makes it all work better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this was good fun. I rarely read (or write) poetry, but I found this very easy to read because of the nicely 'relaxed' style. You certainly picked up on the 'snow' theme with gusto, and gave us lots of pictures of it.
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's nice, lots of positive encouragement for my 'work' & advice. That's what I need, as well as getting into writing & learning interesting new things, thank you! Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris, great fun, well done... you even inspired me to try poetry for a change too. Thank you!
    I look forward to meeting you and continued inspiration. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sally. Thank you! I have just submitted another piece, see what you think of that. All comments, critisims, etc. welcome.
    I liked your Winter Weekend Walk!

    ReplyDelete